Day 12: Wednesday, July 6
All activities and readings should be completed by midnight EDT today, unless an extension is indicated. It's best to complete the readings and activities in the order listed because some activities depend on knowledge acquired in earlier steps.
Goals for Today
- Revise your Documentation Project using feedback from peer review.
- Post a first draft of your Technical Case Study for peer review
- Post a first draft of your Alternative/Creative Media Resume to your blog (as a link or attachments) for peer review
- Complete Learning Module 6 on the principles of readability (Writing 2e)
- Reading, Chapter 24, "Sentences in Context," Writing 2e (405-407), which focuses on "The Five Principles of Readability."
Activities to Complete Today
- Using the results of user-testing and what you learn about revising for context, revise and polish your documenation project (due Saturday, July 9; extended).
- Learning Module 6: Apply the five principles of readability to at least two paragraphs in your Technical Case Study (such as the the "Statement of the Problem," "Overview of the Context," "Proposed or Actual Solution," or "What We Learned" paragraphs). You should coordinate with your team member so that each of you revises different paragraphs. Then ask yourself these questions: Does each sentence meet the five principles of readability? For any sentence that does not, consider whether revising it to meet the principles would improve the writing. Make any revisions you think would improve the sentences, then post the "before" and "after" versions to a blog post (tag: learning module 6, readability). Answer these questions in some followup commentary: What effect do your revisions have on your previous draft? Have you been able to make your revision easier to read? What did you do to make it easier to read for your audience? Be sure to use the better paragraphs in the actual Technical Case Study! Extended: Due no later than Thurs., July 7.
- Post a full draft of your Technical Case Study (Step 4) for peer review to a team member's blog as a PDF file (or URL, if relevant). Extended: Due no later than Thurs., July 7. Provide some notes that elicit good responses from peer reviewers. All team members should read the post and comment to add details as needed. Be sure to review the details under Step 4 in the project description to make sure your draft has all the required sections. (tag: case study draft)
- Post a draft of your Alternative/Creative Media Resume to your blog (as a link or attachments) for peer review (tag: media resume draft). See "Deliverable 3" in the Resume Across Media project description for details on what you should be submitting for review. Extended: Due no later than Thurs., July 7.
On Day 13, you'll watch and respond to a a video that is a mock case study of Microsoft and Apple design (Reading Response 6) and complete peer reviews of Case Study and Alternative/Creative Media resume drafts. You'll also submit the final drafts of your Documentation Project.